Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Irina Werning

This photo project by Argentinian photographer, Irina Werning, called 'Back to the Future' has circulated around the net already but I still want to share it with those who haven't seen it yet. How Werning has described the project:

"I love old photos. I admit being a nosey photographer. As soon as I step into someone else’s house, I start sniffing for them. Most of us are fascinated by their retro look but to me, it’s imagining how people would feel and look like if they were to reenact them today... A few months ago, I decided to actually do this. So, with my camera, I started inviting people to go back to their future."

Werning invited people to show her old photos of themselves and then Werning recreated the vintage tableaux with the present subject and photographed the "transformation." What we get is the juxtaposition of old and new and the incontrovertible documentation of change but what we leave with is the idea that some things stay the same.

Take a look at some of my favourites:

 MATIAS in 1977 and 2010

FLOR, MALE, and SIL in 1983 and 2010


 IAN in 1984 and 2010


 NICO in 1986 and 2010


 LA NEGRA in 1980 and 2010

 MECHI in 1990 and 2010

 TOMMY in 1977 and 2010

LULA and G in 1980 and 2010


NICO in 1990 and 2010

LALI in 1970 and 2010


WERNING'S parents in 1970 and 2010

Most recreation photos are off but I think Werning does a pretty good job capturing the same tone and aesthetic of the photographs.

Check out more here: Back to the Future

Also, Back to the Future II will be out in June!

J

No comments:

Post a Comment