Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Jean Paul Gaultier Couture Spring 2011

As disenfranchised as I am with the whole fashion industry and their over-inflated sense of self-importance and their pretentious defenses of manufactured commodities (do you hear that Anna Wintour and Karl Lagerfeld? You are not artists; you are producers of capital) and runway collections that could feed a Mozambiqan village for life, I can still admire haute couture. Except for Chanel's collections; Lagerfeld is becoming more and more insane and derivative with his interpretations of Coco's tweed suit. 


I don't know if I respect it? But it's definitely a spectacle for sore eyes. John Galliano still makes majestic pieces for Dior; Givenchy and Jean Paul Gaultier still bring their irreverence to fashion, and the divine beauty of Elie Saab and Armani Privé gowns cannot be denied. The French really have the
élan vital when it comes to couture, I couldn't deny that.

John Galliano for Dior's postmodern geisha collection for Spring 2007 is still one of my favourite fashion collections in history and it is a true demonstration of craftsmanship. I just love the construction of the fabric. I think I adore this one as much as I do because I love paper and I love the idea of origami as a dress applique.




With that being said, here's Jean Paul Gaultier's collection for 2011. Although Gaultier has always honoured the punk aesthetic, he really hones it on this collection, something that style.com says is "hardly a new idea for him, and not exactly a thrilling prospect for us." Inspired by Sex Pistol's "Anarchy in the UK," Gaultier goes high street punk (or what I'd call tuxedo punk) and ugly-punk versus the usual frou-frou punk we are so accustomed to seeing on Avril Lavigne and little tween girls. I don't know who does punk couture better: Gaultier or Galliano?

To be honest, I wasn't hugely impressed with the clothes. There were lots of tuxes and suits in similar cuts and fabrics and very unflattering dresses (isn't that what fashion is all about?); I just liked the playfulness of the show.








  


  

















  


 

I was more impressed with the hair, make-up, and accessories. I love that it takes a Frenchman to show the world that smoking is still sexy.






I'd love for someone to do my hair and make-up like that every morning.

All photos courtesy of Style.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment